When I launched Creative Ways with Money in February this year (best timing ever)… I had a long list of things to make:
- author book shot
- masses of social media images
- Creative Ways for Making Money bonus giveaway
- book web page, sales blurb, etc
- articles for blogging
But, oops, I forgot the most important thing: a one sheet. I did make a general media kit and rewrote my bio, so will forgive myself, but still…
Why a One Sheet?
For your book launch, a media sheet all about the book and wholesale information is crucial and is considered sales collateral. As this might go to the bookstore trade, it needs to contain:
- how many pages and if colour
- the blurb—why is it needed—and specifically what kind of reader it will appeal to?
- the genre or bookstore section?
- the cover image
- author name and a couple of lines about you
- publisher imprint, if applicable
- publisher/author website URL
- any book awards shortlisted for
- both ISBNs – for eBook and Paperback
- the print wholesaler (Lightning Source/Ingram in my case) and % discount (e.g. 55%)
- the RRP price
- publication launch date
The title and subtitle will be on the cover image, but use these as well.
Then you can use this one-sheet to give to independent bookstore owners. Or if lucky enough to secure a book distributor with a sales team, to send to them as a PDF. It would also be handy to email to Podcast hosts where you are appearing next.
If you join ASA, you can then apply for distribution with John Reed Books (although this will still cost you plenty to supply the books needed). Or you can get on the phone yourself and tout your book directly to small bookstores.