Something that many of us non-professional authors struggle with is getting media attention for us and our book, i.e. book publicity planning.
First of all, you will need to tick off the fundamentals:
- Is your book and ebook available in the usual places online: Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, and big and bold on your website?
- Is your book cover professionally designed?
- Is your book edited to within an inch of its life?
- Do you have a good story around your book… is it a newsworthy topic right now?
Planning some publicity might start with a good ‘book blurb’ and a press release tied in with a newsworthy angle. The book blurb need not be long for this purpose.
The places to release or pitch your story to include:
- Digital magazines: at the bottom of a non-promotional article, e.g. Women in Focus community, BusinessBusinessBusiness.com.au, Working Women magazine (WNA member), etc…
- LinkedIn: pitch to your 1st connections’ blogs of note, in your niche.
- PR Wire (you can use the portal Influencing to do this once you have a free PR account).
- Local press and radio contacts… start building these up.
- Other guest post spots you find in your niche.
Learn more about book publicity planning by joining our monthly newsletter (the mini niche marketing course is 5 easy lessons first).