Every soloist, specialist or creative writer I’ve ever known wants to build their author platform, either before, during or after publishing a book.
If that’s your interest too, then let’s press on.
Who am I?
I’m Jennifer Lancaster, book publishing mentor, writer and editor.
I have been indie publishing my own (15 years) and others’ books (5 years), so I’ve learned A LOT.
You can struggle with every book or author branding element and launch on your own, or decide that this time you’ll get some help!
I started writing in 1996. Half way through a marketing career, I did a BA in Communications (Media and Journalism major).
I’ve met many authors who want to write a quality book for the world, and supported 1-to-1 many lovely novices to book publishing.
Where am I?
I offer my clients calls via Zoom to anywhere in Australia/NZ or real meetings in northern Brisbane (Redcliffe).
People consult with me about their books because I do what I say I am going to do, and am calm and friendly.
Hurdles, Both Mental and Tangible
First, the mental side. Writing a book in the first place is like going up to the 20 m diving board and peering all the way down. Ooh, scary. You must first realise your worth.
Knowing your worth doesn’t come from doing, it comes from being.Yonder Starr, coach
Most novice authors struggle through the book writing and audience targeting, then finally hire an editor to streamline (fix and cut back) their words. Thankfully. Then, after the book is nearly finished, a thought appears.
‘How am I going to reach my readers?’
Maybe that Print-on-Demand distribution and Kindle/iBooks distribution will do it? (Nope).
Then comes quite a lot of deliberation and stop-start efforts.
If you are in business and don’t want to remain anonymous, then you need to build an ‘Author Platform’ before you launch. That’s why I take an author-first marketing approach, working with you via the medium of this book but with all your offerings and future in mind.
If you want to be visible and sell books, you must start to build your author platform.
Most of us don’t luck onto media buzz, so we need some help with setting up our marketing, our brand, and a website or sales funnel.
Reasons you Might Hire an Author Marketing Consultant
To be more visible and attract the RIGHT group of people to your books and course/workshops/services. Without pushing visibility, your readers won’t just ‘happen on you’ on Amazon or iBooks.
Because you don’t know anything about digital marketing. Targeting an audience, writing teaser copy, making imagery for social media, and book funnels is beyond your ken.
You want to build an email list, but are scared to write email copy and automate stuff. What if people hate it? I help you do that and help you see that it’s all trial and error. Every time.
You believe in your book’s content, but don’t know what to offer as a free sample. Or how to attract people to the free sample.
You know a website is imperative, but don’t know whether to do a BOOK website or an AUTHOR website. Spending hours and many hundreds of dollars in the wrong direction is not wise — so get some expert advice to set up and maintain a great online presence.
Because you have a case of perfectionism, and you can’t find someone good enough to design a banner, book cover, website, or bookmark. Once you do find them, you don’t know the terminology to get the best results. SEO? Web Hosting? Banners? JPEGs? Media Kit? AAH!
Why Learn and Not Just Get a Marketer to Do it All?
A marketer or publicist can set you back $10 – $30,000 over the year. How long will you be able to keep paying this? If forever, then go right ahead. If not, then make an investment in yourself for the future.
I invest in my training too. I wanted to learn the right marketing fundamentals, so I studied applied business for two terms at University of Canberra. Even though I had been learning marketing tactics for the past ten years, the study made me focus on the big picture too.
THE RIGHT MARKETING FUNDAMENTALS will always be useful… it’s only the technology and reader habits that change.
We authors always get caught up in the ‘How’ and the Tech, but we forget that people new to us always need the same process:
- Intrigued by what you say on socials, they read your warm-up device, like a book chapter, a free video course, etc.
- Further nurturing, either on social media or via email (automated or personal).
- By this stage, 5 – 10% will love what you do and be ready to buy from you. Hurray!
- They see your email promotion or messaging, and jump in with both feet.
Simple Marketing System Benefits – With Help
When you have a SIMPLE marketing system for both your book and services, you will win in two ways. Okay, three ways.
- You will attract more people to your services and keynotes through your book being in the spotlight.
- When you are in the spotlight and invited to events, you will have an amazing book to show people. (Credibility – big tick).
- You might also create a new coaching service or course from it!
How Long Will the Author Marketing Strategy Take?
The marketing strategy and coaching is tailored to your goals and needs, but will normally take 2 months. We offer various options to support you, depending on your goals and budget.
Platform Marketing Package
- Initial meeting and you fill in the Book Pitch and Plan document, with some guidance
- 3 x 1.5 hr marketing coaching sessions
- Training on content marketing, incl. social media posting via a scheduler + image-making
- Together we map out a two-month content creation plan, based on whatever media you are good at – including image creation tips.
- Help setting up a new email marketing system and reader incentive funnel system
Flexible time – for two of these:
- Support in optimising the book metadata (keywords, categories, price) for better book sales
- Landing page creation training
- Advice on marketing your book, with book reviews, Goodreads, giveaway, and other free marketing techniques.
- 7 months’ access to Book Creation Success Club (all resources, worth $129)
- Email or telephone support – 15 minute calls for 2 months*
- The Niche Marketing and Book guide (posted)
(Not incl. technical problems, which go to the system host as support tickets)
Book Creation Success Club will open up a world of information around producing a book and marketing it, including templates you can use and audience targeting that can discuss. It’s easy to find the type of information for the stage you’re currently at.
Further Thought on Your Author Future
There is always scope to find a new book niche, however, do not go off and write two books in a different target reader hemisphere before completing your website. This will make your author platform journey much harder!
It is also wise to not have two pen names. While it works for Joanna Penn, it is twice the work. And who needs that?
Stop procrastinating… quit trying to be perfect… and make a start now. After having a look at our calendar, we’ll send an agreement and First Session deposit –and then the fun begins! We will send a form to get you started.Schedule Appointment